“Prayer needs no passport, visa or work permit. There is no such thing as a ‘closed country’ as far as prayer is concerned … much of the history of mission could be written in terms of God moving in response to persistent prayer.” — Stephan Gaukroger, British theologist and historian
The problem with missions is that it can seem so…foreign.
Aside from the obvious pun, there’s a lot of truth in that statement. We can often feel like we’re not only 1 million miles away from the work geographically, but emotionally and thoughtfully as well. How do I pray for missionaries? I feel convicted when I do that I’m not evangelizing in my neighborhood or workplace -so it seems insincere to pray for the ministry “over there.”
All of these thoughts and realities can easily cloud our understanding of this basic fact:
You don’t need to know the language, culture, or current events of a nation to ask God for Heaven to invade Earth. You just need to care enough to do it.
Here are a few simple ways you can engage in spiritual warfare for the souls of those living abroad – both as missionaries and those who are yet to know the fulness of the love of Jesus – because no one has ever told them:
- Educate yourself on which missionaries and nations your church currently supports with finances and resources.
- Pray for the health, strength, finances, and community of the missionary to be protected by God’s heavenly armies.
- Pray for the harvest field – the hardest hearts and the lowest hanging fruit – to be receptive to the Gospel message.
- Ask for Heaven to manifest on Earth as the work of the Kingdom advances in the darkest places. Thy will be done!
- Follow up with inquiring about updates from the field for those you have been praying for. Testimonies fuel our prayers!
“Just a word of warning. Passionate prayers not only change the world, they have a way of transforming the people who pray…God’s goal is to recruit every one of us for his search and rescue team.” — Debbie Meroff, author
Praying for missions and our missionaries can help us connect to the heart of God. Take some time today to tune your heart to His. Pray for missions and be an active part of God’s rescue team!